Subversive World Views (ones we dont like to claim)
INDIVIDUALISM
Individualism: Belief in the primary importance of the individual and in the virtues of self-reliance and personal independence. Acts or an act based on this belief.
Types:
1. Utlilitarian individualism
2. Expressive individualism
Key Convictions of Individualism
1. The indicidual is the primary reality
2. The end justifies the means
3. Relativism
4. We have a right to freedom, fulfillment
5. Performance defines our value
6. Our problem is not sinc, but external limitations
7. The solution is person self-fulfillment
SOURCE OF AUTHORITY: the individual
Individualism subverts Chrstianity through false beliefs
1. My personal beliefs and practices are private
2. I dont need the Christian community
3. God exists to help me reach my potential
4. God exists to help me be happy
Chrsitian response to individualism
-NT focuses on community, not individualism
-Over 36 "one anothers" in the NT
-We're called to be a part of the Body of Christ
CONSUMERISM
Consumerism: the theory that a progressively greater consumption of goods is economically beneficial. Attachment to materialistic values or possessions.
Key convictions of consumerism
1. Problem with humanity: lacking stuff
2. Soultion: more stuff
3. Money is power
4. More is better
5. People are objects to consume
6. Discard what ceases to fulfill us
SOURCE OF AUTHORITY: the marketplace, advertising, money
-Positives
1. promotes competition
2. recognizes the powe of choice
3. recognizes the power of money
-Negatives
1. Redefines out needs
1. Redefines our values
3. Leads to bondage
4. Ultimately doesnt satisfy
- Ecc. 2:12
Christian response to consumerism
-"We read the gospels as if we had no money, and spend our money as if we had not read the gospel" -Haughey
-Money has a spiritual power
-Money is meant to be a tool
- 1 Timothy 6:17-19
-Money is insidious: Who do we serve?
-Matt. 6:24
-Money is an indicator of our values
-Matt 6:21
Philipians 4:11-13
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
-lack of contentment leads to bondage
-contentment is the way to freedom
What are your top 5 values?
-spend the next week keeping a log of how you spend your money/time
-are you investing in the things you value
A MEASURE OF AUTHENTICITY
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment